reach me

  • Instagram - @emmahager
  • Twitter
  • madamecouture@gmail.com

Borders and Ghosts -- Rodarte Fall 2010

      When viewing a Rodarte show, interpretations are ample. This season, the sisters took us to an eerie border town to show us the effects of women who live there. I’ll admit that I did not get that storyline when I first saw the collection. The Rodarte girl is somewhat of a futuristic animal that is carried on each season so the first inspiration that came to mind was of the Rodarte girls that landed in the southwest. The interweaving fabrics (their signature) reminded me of how they wanted to keep their clothes from their past lives but used the country floral, Navajo patterns, and mohair to patch up the wholes. Whatever inspiration, it was a wonderful show.


     When the first model came out, I was so pleased to see that the theme was softer yet still had a haunted and hidden meaning within it. The colors were more feminine: whites, pinks, light reds, etc. And, so were the shapes. The second look consisted of a wonderfully crafted mohair and tweed sweater, a floral skirt and the most remarkable leggings. The leggings may have been one of my favorite parts of this collection. Since Kate and Laura said that one of the themes was sleepwalking and the leggings gave that out-of-bed/getting dressed in the dark feeling. I really loved the knit tassel dresses, they added to the Texas feel and the ghost-like deterioration of clothes and memories.

    I must say, though, that I was underwhelmed with the long, floral dresses. I just did not like the subdued and washed out colors. They were nothing special and looked like a cheap dress that you could find at a thrift store (minus that interwoven fabrics).

Even though the Rodarte look is still evident, I think this was a good step forward in becoming softer, and less edgy and futuristic. Not that being an alien or looking into the future is a bad thing, but this is a really great transition for the label. Overall, I really enjoyed the show and was genuinely touched by the inspirations and use of more feminine materials. Perhaps, this is my favorite show of NY.

All runway photos via style.com

2 comments: